Jump to content

Recent News

Community Interviews Maxis: Part 1

* * * * *
You spoke, we listened! All of us here at Maxis value you, the community, and to show our thanks, we solicited all your burning SimCity questions last week on our blog. Now it’s time for us to give back our love in the form of answers. Lots (and lots) of answers. We combed through your comments and picked out some of the best questions for Creative Director Ocean Quigley, Lead Producer Kip Katsarelis, and Lead Designer Stone Librande to tackle. We got so many great questions, in fact, that we’re going to split up the answers into two parts.

46 Comments

I wish I could donate my asking price for SimCity and pay in full later, becasue it would be interesting to explore, and see what we can do through modding, but they should never have gotten rid of the regional play of SC4.

Hehe, name of first expansion of Simcity. Simcity - Solo
Photo
Pittsburgh Fan
Jul 18, 2012 - 11:13 AM
My two biggest problems with the new game are:

1) The forced online global economy play. So many things can go wrong here, from servers being shut down in 10 months to the economy collapsing because of a few select players.

2) The removal of terraforming from the game. I want to make my dream city...thats what SimCity is all about. Not being able to do that and the pre-set connections to other cities are big problems for me.

I fell like this game isn't what the community really wanted...a sandbox offline solo mode is required. That is what built this series into what it is. Then the added negative of removing things we want in order to make the online gameplay work. We wouldn't have to have pre-set regions to insure all the resources are equal if there was an offline mode. I honestly don't know if I really want this game...I'm just going to wait and read some reviews when it comes out. I hope its better than it looks right now. The game still has hope and I really like a lot of the other stuff, especially GlassBox.
It seems like the new simcity will have better graphics and simulation than simcity 4. It does not give the Player alot of freedom, all the cool things we can do in simcity 4 like teraforming, building highways, or having different types of public transportation are not included. I kinda have the feeling that the new game will be more like cityville on facebook than the newest Simcity. :(
"Players do not have control of placing roads, rail and waterways; these are predetermined by the region."

Players don't have control of how their cities connect to neighbors? That's ridiculous. This game is starting to sound less and less creative to me as a player. I don't want to spend my time building a region with others, I want to build a city that becomes a metropolis on it's own. Regions are nice, but not when it becomes the focus.

I think some things are nice about the multiplayer, but it sounds like we get no control on how things work and the #1 thing fans want is control and moddability of the game. We don't want the game to limit us from making a city the way we want it to be unless there is good real life reasons why. If everyones city can't be terraformed or change where the cities connect their transports, then it becomes the same every time.

Maxis... please rethink where this going. You still have time to change some of these things and you aren't thinking about the gameplay that
Don't think I'll be buying this on day one anymore.... ' Players do not have control of placing roads, rail and waterways; these are predetermined by the region. ' Forced online play was bad enough... but THIS?!
Photo
Pittsburgh Fan
Jul 18, 2012 - 01:19 PM

I'm getting sick of them "dumbing the game down" so more people can play. The game is SimCITY not SimRegion. Control is the point of this game. This game is going to have no shelf life.
I may love Sim City 4, but I am getting more and more disappointed with this new Sim City. As of right now unless Maxis listen and build what is desired, then I will not buy the game and instead just continue playing Sim City 4.
Lame excuses for forced online play;
No control over inter city transport;
Reduced terraforming (at best);
Savegames being dependent on the goodwill of EA while also being crippled in size due to bandwith limitations (therefore custom content will be probably very limited, too)
But hey! There'll be parks!

You spoke, we listened!

Yeah... no.
Photo
Sandis_van_Great
Jul 18, 2012 - 02:18 PM
ha ive been saying this for wery long time, it will fail and fail big time. Its already taking away alot of freedom. Why are people soo blind just becouse that $%&^! is gona have betther grapfics and some cool new engine isnt making the game whole loth betther, you can see it now and even befor the game have gona wrong path long time ago.

Sorry but thats the truth
Photo
Sandis_van_Great
Jul 18, 2012 - 02:19 PM

Lame excuses for forced online play;
No control over inter city transport;
Reduced terraforming (at best);
But hey! There'll be parks!

You spoke, we listened!
Yeah... no.

they didnt even answer the park question properly. question was if there is gona be any kind of NEW parks as nation parks for tourisms and stuff all they sayd that there is gona be ordinery parks that even facebook city building games have
Not having full control over the placement of cities in regions, and full control over connecting them (I.e. no ability to create sprawling metropolises) is a major killer for me.

Hopefully that can be fixed by modding, or enough community support for the feature is show that it smacks them upside the head and change it.
Photo
Pittsburgh Fan
Jul 18, 2012 - 05:32 PM

That's the problem maddog...if there is modding someone could use a mod that gives them an advantage over other players. Maxis will probably do their best to keep us from modding the game. Because I'm sure by the way the have made the game so far, everything has to be exactly the same. It doesn't matter if its resources, city layout, connections, etc. its all the same. I am really starting to worry about the direction EA/Maxis is headed with this. And we won't even mention the fact your a Flyers fan ;)
So many obstacles to building a real city. So easy to fix. Awesome game so closeeeeeeeee.

Those are my primitive thoughts. Glassbox is crazy awesome but practically every detail since restricts it so that things are more realistic, free and quite frankly more fun with SC4 buy the sounds of it. I will bitterly build a plopped curve road in SC4 on SC5's reelease date at this point.
Photo
Pittsburgh Fan
Jul 18, 2012 - 08:14 PM

It is so close and that's why its so frustrating because we can't mod the game because of the cloud processing. I agree with everything you said here and on the official SimCity site...(I'm tjpenguin there)

Sorry but thats the truth

You spell like crap.

If you want people to listen to you; spell better!
"we listened" ...yeah, and completely ignored what you were told. more disappointment.

dzekins, on , said:

Sorry but thats the truth

You spell like crap.

If you want people to listen to you; spell better!

I concur. Take the extra 15 seconds to think about what you are typing. If done on purpose, than I will leave my thoughts to myself, as they are not favorable towards you, dzekins.
As for the first half of the Q&A: While not surprising, it was...less than optimal. I will have a hard time purchasing a game for $20, let alone $60 or more, that can be taken away from me at any time by the people I paid the money to. I would have a hard time paying for a SimCity game that reduces the possibilities, for the sake of 'better gameplay'. The longer I think about this, the more I find out about the game, the lower my opinion of this game gets.
It really sounds like a lot of the things that made SC4 so great but still needed to be expanded on are simply going to be gone. I can see why now that they didn't actually call this game SC5.
And EA kills off yet another great franchise for a quick buck. Do the words "long-term business plan" not exist in the dictionaries at EA?
Time to get your hack tools out, because if we are to save this game, it will be done by ourselves.
Well... over the past few years I have picked up SC4DeLuxe boxes wherever they popped up for little money - so I have a couple of still sealed CDs for "Future Backup"™ on my shelves.

I'd advise everybody to start doing the same, just to make sure you all have a decent SC title to play in the years to come ;o)
All you people do is whine and complain. Whatever information they release, seems not good enough for you people.

Players do not have control of placing roads and rail in the region, but they have complete control over the road and rail networks within their city boundary.

For the game to be multiplayer, they have to do this to stop people from building in your city boundary. In multiplayer, there will be objectives for you and your friends to accomplish. If they let you build in the region, you could deliberately control how the connections are between your friends and give you an unfair advantage. This reminds me of how multiplayer works in Civilization 5, and that game had the best multiplayer ever.

I’ve seen the possibilities with customization. Glassbox, and the new simulation engine. This will be the best SImcity ever!
The way I see it is that they see more market potential in all the ppl playing Simcity Social as whole bigger croud, and on release whreel them in and leave us old players in the cold with the remains. This seems to be more and more a complex version of simcity social but with more freedom in comparison.

I agree with most posters here:
- I want to own my city, not EA
- I want region solo control
- I want bigger regions etc

This is a big step back as I see it so far when comparing it to the progres over SC>SC2k>SC3k>SC4... its below SC2 :S

Also when they give answers to questions, they pick lousy questions and give political answers. So they are either hiding something big, or cowering.

Sorry but thats the truth

Exactly! me too. The last true SimCity will be SC4, from now on everything they do is going to be all dumbed-down 'online social bs'. About time everyone else has finally realised this.